EUROPEAN DEFENCE AGENCY
(E D A)
(Agency’s Contractual Staff)
||Facility Management Assistant
|Type of post :
|Function group :
|Management of staff:
|Indicative starting date:
||1 January 2018
|Level of Security Clearance:
||SECRET UE/EU SECRET
|Closing date for applications
||4 December 2017
The selection of candidates will follow the EDA Staff Recruitment Procedure.
Candidates must apply for this post via the EDA website http://www.eda.europa.eu - vacancies.
Please note that to make an EDA on-line application you will need to create your EDA profile
using a valid e-mail address and a password.
The European Defence Agency was established on 12 July 2004, and is governed by Council Decision (CFSP) 2015/1835 defining the statute, seat and operational rules of the European Defence Agency.
The Agency has its headquarters in Brussels.
The main task of the EDA is to support the Council and the Member States in their effort to improve the Union's defence capabilities in the field of crisis management and to sustain the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) as it currently stands and as it develops in the future.
The Agency is structured into four directorates. Three operational directorates: Cooperation Planning & Support; Capability, Armaments & Technology; and European Synergies & Innovation and the Corporate Services Directorate.
2. THE AGENCY'S WAY OF WORKING
The Agency is an “outward-facing” organisation, constantly interacting with its shareholders, the participating Member States, as well as with a wide range of stakeholders. It works in an integrated way, with multi-disciplinary teams representing all the Agency’s functional areas, to realise its objectives. Its business processes are flexible and oriented towards achieving results. Staff at all levels need to demonstrate the corresponding qualities of commitment, flexibility, innovation, and team-working; to work effectively with shareholders and stakeholder groups, formal and informal; and to operate without the need for detailed direction.
3. THE CORPORATE SERVICES DIRECTORATE
The Corporate Services Directorate manages the human resources, finance, legal, procurement and contract activities, as well as information technology, infrastructure and security, and corporate projects to ensure the smooth and efficient functioning of EDA.
Under the supervision of the Head of the Security & Infrastructure Unit, the jobholder will contribute to the following activities:
- improve the working conditions in the buildings;
- implement health and safety measures in the buildings;
- manage the inventory and assets management system in liaison with the Finance Unit;
- coordinate the delivery and supply of services and goods (+ stock management);
- manage activities around incoming/leaving staff (asset handover, name plates, etc.);
- carry out administrative tasks supporting the unit e.g. preparation of orders and commitments, verification of invoices, management of infrastructure/security-related files and studies, handling of signed purchase orders, filing signed contracts, drafting catalogue, etc;
- handle mail delivery and distribution;
- receive and distribute supplies;
- maintain the local infrastructure and related services;
- follow-up the interventions of contractors (technical, cleaning, catering);
- identify solutions for technical problems that may arise in the building, monitor and supervise works and maintenance executed by external contractors in EDA's premises;
- perform daily operational activities of the unit such as small repairs, removal of office furniture,etc;
- monitor the event management system and booking of meeting rooms;
- coordinate the preparation of meeting rooms;
- front office tasks;
- back-up for the colleagues in the Unit;
- any additional tasks in the Infrastructure and Security Unit as required in the interest of the service.
Duties may evolve according to development of the EDA’s structure and activities, and the decisions of EDA management.
5. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
a. Conditions for eligibility
- be a national of a Member State participating in the Agency;
- be entitled to his/her full rights as a citizen;
- have completed any obligations imposed on him/her by the laws concerning military service;
- produce the appropriate character references as to his/her suitability for the performance of his/her duties;
- be physically fit to perform his/her duties;
- have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the participating Member States and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these languages to the extent necessary to discharge his/her duties;
- have no personal interest (financial, family relationship, or other) which could be in conflict with disinterested discharge of his/her duties within the Agency;
- hold, or be in a position to obtain, a valid Personnel Security Clearance Certificate (national or EU PSC at CONFIDENTIEL UE/EU CONFIDENTIAL level). Personnel Security Clearance Certificate ' (PSCC) means a certificate issued by a competent authority establishing that an individual is security cleared and holds a valid national or EU PSC, and which shows the level of EUCI to which that individual may be granted access (or above), the date of validity of the relevant PSC and the date of expiry of the certificate itself. Note that the necessary procedure for obtaining a PSCC can be initiated on request of the employer only, and not by the individual candidate);
- have a a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma; or have a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education, and appropriate professional experience of at least three years;
b. Essential selection criteria
The candidate will be required to demonstrate that he/she has:
- a diploma/degree in facility management/building management/construction/engineering and building services/hospitality/property/administration or 5 years of professional experience in the domain;
- a thorough understanding of the challenges related to modern facility management;
- well-developed organisational and administrative skills;
- customer service orientation;
- very good written and spoken English;
- satisfactory knowledge of French (spoken and written);
- very good knowledge of MS Office;
- understanding of the EDA’s main tasks and functions.
All staff must be able to fit into the Agency's way of working (see para. 2). Other attributes important for this post include:
- ability to work in a team and independently in his/her area of responsibility;
- ability to work effectively in a multinational environment;
- results-orientation and strong motivation;
- flexibility and innovativeness;
- strong analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- knowledge of facility management information systems;
- knowledge of AutoCAD.
6. INDEPENDENCE AND DECLARATION OF INTEREST
The Facility Management Assistant will be required to make a declaration of commitment to act independently in the Agency’s interest and to make a declaration in relation to interests that might be considered prejudicial to his/her independence.
7. APPOINTMENT AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Facility Management Assistant will be appointed by the Chief Executive.
Recruitment will be as a member of the contractual staff of the Agency for a one-year period initially, to cover a maternity/parental leave, with a possible renewal for a maximum of 5 years. The successful candidate will be recruited as group III.
The pay for this position consists of a basic salary of 2619,89 € supplemented with various allowances, including as applicable expatriation or family allowances. The successful candidate will be graded on entry into service according to the length of his/her professional experience. Salaries are exempted from national tax, instead an Agency tax at source is paid. For further information on working conditions please refer to:
Failure to obtain the requisite security clearance certificate before the expiration of the probationary period may be cause for termination of the contract.
Candidates are advised that part of the recruitment process includes medical analyses and physical check-up with an Agency’s Medical Adviser.
Applications are invited with a view to establishing a reserve list for the post of Facility Management Assistant at the EDA. This list is valid until 31/12/2018, and may be extended by decision of the Chief Executive. During the validity of the reserve list, successful candidates may be offered a post in the EDA according to their competences in relation to the specific requirements of the vacant post.
Inclusion on the reserve list does not imply any entitlement of employment in the Agency.
8. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
The EDA is an equal opportunities employer and accepts applications without distinction on the grounds of age, race, political, philosophical or religious conviction, sex or sexual orientation and regardless of disabilities, marital status or family situation.
9. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Candidates must submit their application electronically solely via the EDA website. Applications by any other means (hard copy or ordinary e-mail) will not be accepted. Applications must be submitted no later than midnight. Candidates are reminded that the on-line application system will not accept applications after midnight (Brussels time, GMT+1) on the date of the deadline.
When applying, candidates from Ministries of Defence or other governmental entities are encouraged to inform their national administration.
A selection committee will be appointed. Please note that the selection committee's internal proceedings are strictly confidential and that any contact with its members is forbidden.
If recruited, you will be requested to supply documentary evidence in support of the statements that you make for this application. Do not send any supporting or supplementary information until you have been asked to do so by the Agency.
Please note that once you have created your EDA profile, any correspondence regarding your application must be sent or received via your EDA profile.
For any prior enquiry, please refer to the FAQ (Frequently asked questions) section, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. DATA PROTECTION
Please note that EDA will not return applications to candidates. The personal information EDA requests from candidates will be processed in line with Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data. The purpose of processing personal data which candidates submit is to manage applications in view of possible pre-selection and recruitment at EDA.
More information on personal data protection in relation to selection and recruitment can be found on the EDA website: http://www.eda.europa.eu/jobs/dataprotection