EUROPEAN DEFENCE AGENCY
(E D A)
(Agency’s Contractual Staff)
|Type of post :
|Function group :
|Management of staff:
|Indicative starting date:
||16 October 2017
|Level of Security Clearance:
||SECRET UE/EU SECRET
|Closing date for applications
||8 September 2017
The selection of candidates will follow the EDA Staff Recruitment Procedure.
Candidates must apply for this post via the EDA website http://www.eda.europa.eu - vacancies.
Please note that to make an EDA on-line application you will need to create your EDA profile
using a valid e-mail address and a password.
The European Defence Agency was established on 12 July 2004, and is governed by Council Decision (CFSP) 2015/1835 defining the statute, seat and operational rules of the European Defence Agency.
The Agency has its headquarters in Brussels.
The main task of the EDA is to support the Council and the Member States in their effort to improve the Union's defence capabilities in the field of crisis management and to sustain the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) as it currently stands and as it develops in the future.
The Agency is structured into four directorates. Three operational directorates: Cooperation Planning & Support; Capability, Armaments & Technology; and European Synergies & Innovation and the Corporate Services Directorate.
2. THE AGENCY'S WAY OF WORKING
The Agency is an “outward-facing” organisation, constantly interacting with its shareholders, the participating Member States, as well as with a wide range of stakeholders. It works in an integrated way, with multi-disciplinary teams representing all the Agency’s functional areas, to realise its objectives. Its business processes are flexible and oriented towards achieving results. Staff at all levels need to demonstrate the corresponding qualities of commitment, flexibility, innovation, and team-working; to work effectively with shareholders and stakeholder groups, formal and informal; and to operate without the need for detailed direction.
3. THE CORPORATE SERVICES DIRECTORATE
The Corporate Services Directorate manages the human resources, finance, legal, procurement and contract activities, as well as information technology, infrastructure and security, and corporate projects to ensure the smooth and efficient functioning of EDA.
Under the supervision of the Head of Finance Unit, the jobholder will provide support and assistance to the Agency in the execution of financial transactions fulfilling, in particular, the following activities:
- initiate financial transactions (commitments, payments, recovery orders, de-commitments…) related to operational and administrative expenditure of the Agency;
- analyse the financial part of project reports;
- support preparation, planning, reporting, forecast and follow up of budgets;
- provide general administrative support, including document archiving, drafting and formatting of financial documents;
- assist in preparation of audit files (Internal Audit, College of Auditors, Ex-post audits);
- implement audit findings;
- contribute to financial processes and procedures of the Agency;
- advise and support on any financial matters to Agency’s staff;
- take on additional tasks as required in the interest of the service.
Duties may evolve according to development of the EDA’s structure and activities, and the decisions of EDA management.
5. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
a. Conditions for eligibility:
- be a national of a Member State participating in the Agency;
- be entitled to his/her full rights as a citizen;
- have fulfilled any obligations imposed on him/her by the laws concerning military service;
- be physically fit to perform his/her duties;
- have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the participating Member States and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these languages to the extent necessary to discharge his/her duties.
- have no personal interest (financial, family relationship, or other) which could be in conflict with disinterested discharge of his/her duties within the Agency;
- hold, or be in a position to obtain, a valid Personnel Security Clearance Certificate (national or EU PSC at SECRET UE/EU SECRET level). Personnel Security Clearance Certificate’ (PSCC) means a certificate issued by a competent authority establishing that an individual is security cleared and holds a valid national or EU PSC, and which shows the level of EUCI to which that individual may be granted access (CONFIDENTIEL UE/EU CONFIDENTIAL or above), the date of validity of the relevant PSC and the date of expiry of the certificate itself. Note that the necessary procedure for obtaining a PSCC can be initiated on request of the employer only, and not by the individual candidate.);
- have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma or be a graduate of a national or international Defence College.
b. Essential Selection Criteria:
The candidate will be required to demonstrate that he/she has:
- seven years of professional experience in the finance area;
- proven 3 years of experience in financial aspects of EU grant management – FP7, H2020;
- proven hands-on experience in the use of financial systems;
- proven hands-on experience in financial reporting;
- familiarity with the EU Financial Regulations;
- a very good knowledge of English.
All staff must be able to fit into the Agency's way of working (see para. 2). Other attributes important for this post include:
- ability to work in a team and independently in his/her area of responsibility;
- ability to work effectively in a multinational environment;
- excellent organisational skills;
- strong analytic and problem-solving skills;
- strong motivation and willingness to perform general administrative duties;
- excellent communication and customer service skills;
- ability to adapt to a quickly changing working environment;
- genuine commitment to the Agency's objectives.
The following would be considered an advantage:
- knowledge of eGrants Management tools used for H2020 financial management;
- further documented training in accountancy/finance.
6. INDEPENDENCE AND DECLARATION OF INTEREST
The Financial Officer will be required to make a declaration of commitment to act independently in the Agency’s interest and to make a declaration in relation to interests that might be considered prejudicial to his/her independence.
7. APPOINTMENT AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Financial Officer will be appointed by the Chief Executive.
Recruitment will be as a member of the contractual staff of the Agency for a four-year period (unless a shorter period is mutually agreed between the parties). Renewal is possible within the limits set out in the EDA Staff Regulations. The successful candidate will be recruited as group IV .
The pay for this position consists of a basic salary of xxx € supplemented with various allowances, including as applicable expatriation or family allowances. The successful candidate will be graded on entry into service according to the length of his/her professional experience. Salaries are exempted from national tax, instead an Agency tax at source is paid. For further information on working conditions please refer to:
Failure to obtain the requisite security clearance certificate before the expiration of the probationary period may be cause for termination of the contract.
Candidates are advised that part of the recruitment process includes medical analyses and physical check-up with an Agency’s Medical Adviser.
Applications are invited with a view to establishing a reserve list for the post of Financial Officer at the EDA. This list is valid until 31/12/2018, and may be extended by decision of the Chief Executive. During the validity of the reserve list, successful candidates may be offered a post in the EDA according to their competences in relation to the specific requirements of the vacant post.
Inclusion on the reserve list does not imply any entitlement of employment in the Agency.
8. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
The EDA is an equal opportunities employer and accepts applications without distinction on the grounds of age, race, political, philosophical or religious conviction, sex or sexual orientation and regardless of disabilities, marital status or family situation.
9. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Candidates must submit their application electronically solely via the EDA website. Applications by any other means (hard copy or ordinary e-mail) will not be accepted. Applications must be submitted no later than midnight. Candidates are reminded that the on-line application system will not accept applications after midnight (Brussels time, GMT+1) on the date of the deadline.
When applying, candidates from Ministries of Defence or other governmental entities are encouraged to inform their national administration.
A selection committee will be appointed. Please note that the selection committee's internal proceedings are strictly confidential and that any contact with its members is forbidden.
If recruited, you will be requested to supply documentary evidence in support of the statements that you make for this application. Do not send any supporting or supplementary information until you have been asked to do so by the Agency.
Please note that once you have created your EDA profile, any correspondence regarding your application must be sent or received via your EDA profile.
For any prior enquiry, please refer to the FAQ (Frequently asked questions) section, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. DATA PROTECTION
Please note that EDA will not return applications to candidates. The personal information EDA requests from candidates will be processed in line with Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data. The purpose of processing personal data which candidates submit is to manage applications in view of possible pre-selection and recruitment at EDA.
More information on personal data protection in relation to selection and recruitment can be found on the EDA website: http://www.eda.europa.eu/jobs/dataprotection